Gum disease is a serious condition that can lead to tooth loss and other health consequences if left untreated. Thus, catching and treating gum disease in its early stages is crucial to prevent lasting damage to your smile and your overall health. Learning the most common symptoms of gum disease will help you be proactive.
5 Symptoms of Gum Disease: What to Look For
As gum disease develops over time, there are certain indicators which are likely to appear. Here are five symptoms of gum disease you should be on the lookout for:
- Gum Irritation – Gum inflammation and discomfort are often some of the first indicators that the gums are unhealthy. If your gums are sore and red – or if they bleed when you brush or floss – it may be a sign of developing gum disease.
- Receding Gums – Gum disease causes erosion at the gum line. So if you’re noticing that your teeth are more exposed than usual, gum disease could be to blame.
- Loose Teeth – When the gums begin to recede, the teeth lose the support they need to hold them firmly in place. In turn, tooth shifting or looseness may occur as gum disease progresses.
- Tooth Sensitivity – Tooth pain is another one of the tell-tale symptoms of gum disease. Gum erosion from gum disease means the teeth have less protection. Thus, they are likely to feel sensitive – especially when you consume something hot, cold, sweet or acidic.
- Halitosis – Having bad breath from time to time is normal. But when halitosis persists over a longer period, it may be cause for concern. Lingering bad breath can be a sign of gingivitis (the initial stage of gum disease) or periodontitis (the final stage of gum disease).
Since early detection is key for effective treatment, everyone should know the symptoms of gum disease. To protect your smile, it is also advisable to familiarize yourself with the early signs of other common dental problems.
Entrust Sunrise Dental to Help Keep Your Smile Healthy
When it comes to preventing gum disease, simply following a brushing and flossing routine isn’t enough. In addition, you need to visit a dentist on a regular basis for dental cleaning and exams. During these visits, your dentist will remove tartar buildup and check for symptoms of gum disease.
If you’re looking for quality dental care in the Covington, WA area, Sunrise Dental is a choice you can depend on. With expert knowledge on how to spot and treat gum disease and other dental issues, we are here to help everyone in your family maintain a healthy smile. To schedule an appointment, please call our office at 253-243-6576. Our friendly and professional staff looks forward to meeting you.